The Hope Beyond Fibroids Awareness & Education Program featuring Fibroids Awareness Advocate, Fibroids & Fertility Coach and Bestselling Author Gessie Thompson is purposed to empower women to be H.I.P.—Hopeful, Informed and Proactive—about identifying and managing Fibroids.
Fibroids—smooth muscle tumors that form in the uterus—plague 50 to 70% of women and an astronomical 80% of Black women by age 50, many of which cause infertility. They are generally more common between the 30s and 40s, however they can develop sooner. Not all women with fibroids have symptoms. However, women who do often find them hard to live with—experiencing everything from infertility, incontinence, pain during intercourse and more. The most prevalent symptoms are heavy and breakthrough bleeding and resulting severe anemia, which can also cause heart failure.
On a mission to inspire, educate and empower women regarding fibroids, Gessie Thompson battled them for 14 years and underwent five fibroid surgeries—ending in a hysterectomy just this past March. Her journey can be summarized as follows:
• 14 years battling fibroids
• 10 years battling infertility
• 10 surgeries
• 1 miscarriage
• 5 IVF cycles
• 100+ days in the hospital
• Her daughter fighting the fibroids for her life in her womb
• Her heart stopping on the operating table
• And, thankfully, her miracle baby being born at 2.5 lbs and 14 inches on September 8, 2011
Program includes two, or more, of the following:
• Hope Beyond Fibroids: Fertility, Finances & Future workshop by Gessie Thompson
• Hope Beyond Fibroids: Fibroid Elimination workshop by Gessie Thompson
• Hope Beyond Fibroids: Awareness & Education Panel featuring Gessie Thompson and a GYN